LIVING FROM THE HEART

This is a blog about the everyday events of my life--what drives me, what encourages and discourages me, what touches and nurtures my heart...what makes me who I am.

Monday, May 16, 2005

TCK humor

Here's some TCK humor (keep in mind that these people are Caucasian American TCKs):

- When people asked me where I'm from I used to just say Africa. But I always wound up getting asked questions like, "Why aren't you black?"

- I was born in Taiwan, and my favorite question is, "Are your parents Chinese?" Being a six foot tall Caucasian female doesn't seem to stop them from asking this!

- In Papua New Guinea (PNG) I say I'm from Norway, in Norway I say I went to an Americanized school, and in the States I say I'm from PNG. Home is always elsewhere.

- Of course, I always get asked the usual questions such as, "Are there lots of snakes, lions, etc. . . . , Do the people run around naked?"

www.tckworld.com

1 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger tigra's owner said...

My best friend, who lives in Michigan, told me recently that she had lived in only three places--all in Michigan--in her life. When I was living overseas, she asked me a couple of times where "home" was for me. I've lived in five states and three countries other than the U.S.--a total of 32 "dwellings." My mom and dad split up when I was a teenager and moved various places,and my sister married and lived in yet another state, so, as an adult, I didn't have a "family home." I could never quite answer my friend's question other than to say it was wherever I was living at the moment.

My friend seemed bothered that I didn't have a permanent sense of home and, after all these years, I've finally figured out that our different experiences account for how we view "home."

Now when people ask me where home is, I say, "Home is where the storage unit is." I figure I've had my storage unit now for 15 years, which is longer than I've lived any one place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home