LIVING FROM THE HEART

This is a blog about the everyday events of my life--what drives me, what encourages and discourages me, what touches and nurtures my heart...what makes me who I am.

Friday, May 06, 2005

The Heart of a TCK -- Part Six

Even though I grew up with three cultural identities, which definitely has its advantages, I find myself wanting to to have just one. I want to have a culture, a language, and a group of people I can call my own and identify with. I wanna be able to say to someone that I am Taiwanese and that my native tongue is Mandarin and not have to worry about people questioning me. But the reality is that I don't speak Mandarin well at all, and since I haven't lived in Taiwan for the past 19 years, I can't relate to Taiwanese people, even though I am a citizen of Taiwan.

Deep down in my heart, I've always longed to return and reconnect with my Chinese roots. I want to live among the Chinese and be able to call them my own people and for them to see me as one of them. I want to be able to identify with their lot and serve them with the skills and knowledge I have acquired abroad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home